O-1 Additional Information


  1. Initial period of stay is limited to 3 years
  2. Applicant must file an amended petition on Form I-129 if there have been any material change in the terms and conditions of their employment or eligibility.


  1. O-1 visa holders may petition to bring individuals who will accompany them as essential assistants under the O-2 classification.
  2. O-1 visa holders may petition to bring the spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 as O-3s.


Extensions in 1 year increments can be requested after the initial 3 years.  

If this is an extension for the same event or activity, you do not need to provide new documentation.  You only need to provide an I-129, copy of I-94, and a statement explaining the reason for request.  Any O-2 visa holders must file a form I-539.

If the extension is for a new employer or a new position by the same employer, you must refile an O petition and your visa may be approved for three years.

O-1 visa holders may travel while the extension is pending.