1. Applicant must be 18 years old or older at the time of filing;
2. Applicant must be a lawful permanent resident.
3. Applicant must demonstrate continuous permanent residence in the U.S. for at least 5 years.
- may be 3 years if married to a U.S. citizen.
4. Applicant must show that they have been physically present in the U.S. for 30 months .
- may be 18 months if married to a U.S. citizen
5. Applicant must show that they have lived for at least 3 months in the state or USCIS district where they claim residence.
6. Applicant must have knowledge of U.S. history and government.
7. Applicant must have good moral character.
8. Applicant must be able to read, write, and speak basic English.
However, there are exceptions to this rule, if they are one of the following:
- 55 years old and have been a permanent resident for at least 15 years
- 50 years old and have been a permanent resident for at least 20 years
- Have a permanent physical or mental impairment that makes the individual unable to fulfill these requirements.