N-400 Interview Tips
Here are some interview tips that will lead you to a successful N-400 interview.
- Do not arrive more than 15 to 30 mins in advance, but do not arrive late.
- Look decent at the interview. We recommend business casual: do not wear jeans and a t-shirt, but there is no need for a suit.
Officer and Interview
- Always tell the truth. They have the entire file of your immigration history in front of them.
- You will be asked to sign the application. Do not sign with your usual day to day signature. You have to write (NOT print) your entire name in cursive letters in the designated area.
- If you missed something in the application or realized that something was incorrect in the application, be sure to mention it in the application.
- Memorize everything from the application. Do not keep the copy of your application open in front of you.
Testing your English Ability
- USCIS has instructed its officers to repeat and rephrase questions until the officer is satisfied that you either fully understand the question or do not understand English.
- If you don’t understand a question, it’s okay to ask the officer to rephrase it. In fact, guessing at what the officer is saying could get you into deeper difficulties than simply saying, “I’m sorry, would you please repeat that using different words?”