L-2 FAMILY MEMBERS
The L-1A visa holder may bring their spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 years.
Family members must file under the L-2 Dependent category and will typically be granted the same period of stay as the L-1A visa holder. L-2 visa holders are permitted to work or study full-time during the duration of their stay upon approval by the USCIS.
Points of Interest:
- If the L-1 visa that the L-2 visa is attached to fail to hold their status, the L-2 visa will cease to be active as well.
- In order to extend the L-2 status, each family member must apply separately
- There are no specific location restrictions for spouses of L-1 workers should their work authorization be approved.
Obtaining L-2 Status:
- You may apply for a L-2 at a U.S. consulate in a foreign country OR
- You may apply for a change of status if he or she is currently staying in the U.S. under a different visa classification.