For conditional residents who obtained status through marriage to be a permanent resident

If any of the following applies to you, please visit I-751 Waiver.

  • Are a child and, for a valid reason, cannot be included in your parents’ application
  • Are a widow who entered into your marriage in good faith
  • Entered into a marriage in good faith even though the marriage ended
  • Entered into a marriage in good faith, but either you or your child were battered or subjected to extreme hardship by your U.S.-citizen or permanent-resident spouse.


  1. 2 Years: You are still married to the same U.S. citizen or permanent resident after 2 years
  2. Bona Fide: You entered the marriage without the intent to seek immigration benefits.

To file an I-751 and become a permanent resident of the U.S., you must file this petition with your current spouse.  You can show that your marriage was bona fide through documentation (i.e. anniversary pictures and receipts, letters, shared financial accounts, gifts).  The more documentation, the better.

Since each case is different, we have prepared some common situations and pitfalls for you to consider.  Keep in mind that the rate of fraud for this petition is extremely high, which will place your I-751 case under careful scrutiny. 

If you want to learn more or want to take the next step, here is our I-751 process, checklist, and fees.  You can also check out our FAQ for I-751.